Are you not happy with the mic of your camera? Do you want something better for the purpose you use your camera? You need not worry. We are here to suggest you with some mics for your DSLR and mirrorless cameras that may solve your problems. Shotgun mics happen to be very useful for proper video recording with clear sound by DSLR and mirrorless cameras. The advantages of these mics have already influenced buyers to buy these for their cameras. So, you just require having a look at all these best shotgun mics available for DSLR and mirrorless cameras to use your cameras for the best recording.
Important Facts for Buying Shotgun Mics for DSLR Cameras:
A microphone is always helpful for using with camera for recording video irrespective of the size of the mic. Shotgun microphones have been effective to record the good quality of audio and video. All the features of these best mics have already been described above. Now see how these can help you in capturing your precious moments. You need to remember the following things while you are going to purchase shotgun mics:
- The mics need to be easily portable so that you can go anywhere with it and place it accordingly for recording. In terms of portability, Rode VideoMic Pro+, Rode NTG2 Shotgun Microphone, and Sennheiser MKE 440 products are largely accepted by the videographers.
- The above-mentioned price of shotgun mics is subject to change but you can always get it from Amazon.
- You need to choose a mic that will try to reduce rumble and vibration and give you a clear and good quality sound. All of the above-discussed mics have proved to do so quite efficiently.
List Of Best Shotgun Mics for DSLR Cameras:
Shotgun microphones for cameras appear to be essential for those who professionally use their cameras for various purposes. Still, a mic may not be suitable for all the cameras one has. Therefore, you need to choose shotgun mic for your camera by checking if those two are at all compatible. Although you better know what you exactly want, we are just informing you about some microphones for cameras that you need to read for your perfect choice. Some of the best models of shotgun microphone that are available for you in the market to use for photoshoot are described below:
1. Sennheiser MKE 440 Professional Stereo Shotgun Microphone
This is a popular model of shotgun microphone that can be used for both DSLR and mirrorless cameras. It is well-known for its audio-equipment in high quality. The most important characteristics of this one are:
- Sennheiser offers this microphone at an affordable price.
- It can catch most of the sound from sources situated directly in front of it.
- Sennheiser MKE 440 Professional Stereo Shotgun Microphone comes with a shoe mount that helps to install it to your camera quite easily.
- It is compatible with almost all DSLR cameras.
- This mike is potent enough for use in situations of different loudness.
2. Deity V-mic D3 Pro Super-Cardioid Directional Shotgun Microphone
Deity mic, made with aluminum, features a super-cardioid polar pattern. Isn’t it interesting? Wait. There are many more which you may like:
- It has auto switch on-off mode. This mic turns on automatically while the camera is switched on and shuts down if not connected. This appears to be helpful in the preservation of battery life.
- There is a microprocessor that comes with this mic to detect which device it is attached to.
- Deity V-mic D3 Pro Super-Cardioid Directional Shotgun Microphone is compatible with a great range of devices like DSLR, mirrorless cameras, laptops, tablets, smartphones, camcorders and many more.
- Its internal rechargeable battery gives you 50 hours of runtime
- Deity V-mic D3 Pro Super-Cardioid Directional Shotgun Microphone has an extraordinary step-less analog gain adjustment dial that enables you to increase the volume up to 20 dB.
3. Azden SMX-30 Stereo/Mono Switchable Video Microphone
This Azden SMX-30 Stereo/Mono microphone is a less costly and favorite option for most of the videographers for some good reasons. You may also like it a lot. Let’s tell you the features that you may like about this mic:
- This Japanese company has introduced this particular model with a low cut filter switch for a reduction of the level of frequencies below 120 Hz. This feature helps to remove noise caused by traffic, air conditions and wind.
- This microphone is effective enough to add flexibility for shooters who are cost-conscious.
- Azden SMX-30 Stereo/Mono microphone also has an auto power setting.
- This mic features a shock-absorbing shoe mount.
- With the use of a +20 dB gain booster the audio on your camera at a comparatively low level to avoid the noisy preamps. A -10 dB pad protects against distortion while recording in a loud environment like motorsport events or live concerts.
4. Rode VideoMic Pro+ Compact Directional On-Camera Shotgun Condenser Microphone
If you are going to have an advanced mic with some different features than others in the market, you can go and have a look at Rode VideoMic Pro+ Compact Directional On-Camera Shotgun Condenser Microphone. What are you waiting for? Read its speciality and compatibility with your camera.
- Its polar pattern, being super-cardioid, enables it to keep the surrounding noise to a minimum.
- Rode has also designed this particular model with a Rycote Lyre Shock Mounting System that reduces rumble and vibrations while recording.
- It has an automatic switch on/off feature.
- Its automatic power function is perfect enough for the run and gun shooter as the microphone automatically turns off if unplugged from your camera. This mic is also available with plug-in power mode.
This happens to be nice as with your certainty to have the mic always turned on by pressing record, you will not miss recording the audio in a scene.
5. TAKSTAR SGC-598 Interview Microphone
While you are in search of a microphone for your camera to suit your affordability best, you can choose this TAKSTAR SGC-598 Interview Microphone. You may like the following features of this specific microphone model:
- This mic is potent enough to record most of the sound coming from the front and sidewise.
- This TAKSTAR SGC-598 Interview Microphone is best-suited for use in vlogging and interview purposes.
- It can be connected to your camera using a 3.5mm jack. The battery of this microphone will allow you to record sound continuously up to 100 hours.
- The quality of sound is still completely usable although it is an external microphone.
- It is comparatively cheap and naturally permits your pocket.
- Poorly placed permanent cable
- No mic stand mic
- Poor build quality
Still, it may be your choice if you think of your budget and this mic is particularly helpful for interview purposes and this specialty differentiates it from others in this list.
6. Shure VP83 LensHopper Camera-Mounted Condenser Microphone
Shure is a microphone brand well-known all over the world. Won’t you like to have a look at Shure VP83 LensHopper Camera-Mounted Condenser Microphone? You will certainly like some of its strikingly attractive features. Just read what Shure offers you.
- This particular model of microphone manufactured by Shure comes with an electronic condenser cartridge that potentially captures detailed audio with superb sound quality.
- It fits quite easily on top of a DSLR or HD camcorder.
- This mic can accommodate itself with different environments of recording.
- Shure VP83 LensHopper Camera-Mounted Condenser Microphone is powerful enough for eliminating rumbles of low-frequency from the background.
- It has a camera mount shotgun for location recording.
- This mic comes with an integrated Rycote Lyre shock mount that can provide you with a high level of protection against unwanted noise.
7. Rode VideoMic GO Light Weight On-Camera Microphone
You have already learned that Rode has become a popular brand for manufacturing shotgun microphone for cameras. The following features of this particular Rode microphone model may convince you to go for this option:
- This device is especially popular among filmmakers and videographers for the polar pattern that enables it to keep the surrounding sound minimum in the recorded video.
- It also reducers rumble and vibration at the time recording with its Rycote Lyre shock-mounting system.
- Its rechargeable battery will last up to 100 hours.
- The mic can be powered in multiple ways.
- Most of the sound will be picked up by this mic from the front and not sidewise. Therefore, you need not place it carefully to capture sound as you wish.
8. Rode NTG2 Multi-Powered Condenser Shotgun Microphone
This can be regarded as more of a traditional condenser shotgun mic that is popular for capturing a good quality of sound in both audio and video.
- This microphone is provided with a mount though not a shock mount particularly made for microphone stands and boom poles.
- It is easily portable than other models on this list.
- This model has low noise circuitry.
- The rugged metal construction of this mic protects it from accidental damages.
Suggestive Shotgun Mics for DSLR Cameras:
All of these shotgun mics are more or less equally efficient shotgun in giving you the pleasure of enjoying high-quality sound recording. You can go for anyone among these according to your preference affordability. Still, the Rode models are widely accepted for those that can be used for many purposes and come with attractive features than others. Among the Rode models, you can go for Rode NTG2 Shotgun Microphone as it high-pass filter and low noise circuitry. These will help you to avoid unnecessary sounds from the background at the time of recording. If you want to have a shotgun mic for your DSLR or mirrorless camera within an affordable amount, you can purchase Rode VideoMic GO Light Weight On-Camera Microphone. It is also a light-weight product and proves to provide better quality service.
1Q. Which mic is better for recording an interview?
Ans: TAKSTAR SGC-598 Interview Microphone is the best. It is also easily portable.
2Q. Does Shure VP83 LensHopper Camera-Mounted Condenser Microphone come with integrated flash?
Ans: Yes. It has an integrated flash (Micro SDHC slot) recording/playback capabilities.
3Q. Which one is the better condenser microphone?
Ans: You can surely go for Rode NTG2 Multi-Powered Condenser Shotgun Microphone.
4Q. Which is the best shotgun mic for filmmaking?
Ans: You can go for nay one among Rode NTG2 Multi-Powered Condenser Shotgun Microphone, Sennheiser MKE 440 Professional Stereo Shotgun Microphone, Rode VideoMic GO Light Weight On-Camera Microphone and Rode VideoMic Pro+ Compact Directional On-Camera Shotgun Condenser Microphone.