A lot of users often ask me how to use GoPro as a webcam? Well, using your GoPro as a webcam is an excellent idea as we all are aware of the stunning video quality and resolution of these action cameras. There are countless folks out there that are using GoPro as a dashcam, and they are pretty happy with the results.
But using GoPro as a webcam is a different thing and requires you to invest in some quality products like a tripod, and a connection cable to connect it to your PC.
Step by Step Guide On How to Use GoPro as a Webcam:
First of all, it would be great if you accumulate all the gear and stuff required to sue your GoPro as a webcam. It’s not as easy as you think, but it is not that hard, in fact! I am using my GoPro Hero 4 to make Skype video calls to my friends, and it works fine without any issues.
List of Hardware You Need to Setup Your GoPro as Webcam
- GoPro Camera: The foremost item you need is a compatible GoPro camera. Some GoPro models aren’t compatible with becoming a webcam, and I have explained them in detail in this article.
- HDMI Cable: The next item you need is a quality HDMI cable to connect your GoPro camera with your PC. If you don’t have an HDMI cable, then you can get something like UGREEN Micro HDMI to HDMI as it is a reliable cable, and I am using it personally.
- A Compact Tripod: You cannot just hold your GoPro camera for making video calls, and that is why you need a compact GoPro tripod to mount the camera. Buy the best GoPro tripod here.
- Elgato Cam Link 4K: With Elgato Cam Link 4K, you can connect the GoPro to your PC. Also, this device is perfect to use your DSLR as a webcam, so you should invest in it due to its versatility.
- USB Cable: The last item you need is a USB cable to charge your GoPro while you are using it as a webcam. If you don’t use a USB cable, then the battery will knock off soon, and you will not be able to complete your calls.
List of Software You Need to Setup Your GoPro as Webcam
After accumulating all the hardware items, it is time to set up the software as well. Without reliable software, you cannot use your GoPro as a webcam.
- Elgato Cam Link: If you have purchased the Elgato Cam Link 4K device, then you need to download the software as well to use your GoPro as a webcam. You can download the Elgato Cam Link 4K software here.
- StreamLabs OBS: Another source to connect your GoPro to your PC is StreamLabs OBS. This software is available for Windows for free, and you can download it here.
Steps to Make Your GoPro Your New Webcam:
- Start by connecting the Cam Link device to the USB port of your PC.
- Now connect the HDMI cable with the Cam Link device, and one end with your GoPro.
- Also, take the USB cable and connect it with your PC and GoPro, so that the GoPro keeps on receiving the charging from the PC.
- Switch your GoPro on.
- If you are using Skype, then open it and go to settings to choose the source as GoPro. After downloading Cam Link software, you can select it in the device list as well to use GoPro as a webcam for other calling tools.
- Now take your GoPro, and go to the camera-menu for setting the streaming to LIVE. It will keep the camera on a streaming mode and will prevent it from sleeping.
Can You Use All GoPro Models as Webcams?
No, not all GoPro cameras work as webcams, because most of them lack an HDMI port. If you are planning to get a GoPro, then avoid these models, as you cannot use them as a webcam in the future.
|GoPro Models that Work as a Webcam||GoPro Models that Don’t Work as a Webcam|
|Hero 4 Black||All GoPro session cameras|
|Hero 7 Black||Hero 7 Silver and White|
|Hero 6 Black||All Hero Cameras without Numbers|
|Hero 5 Black||360 Degree Cameras|
|Hero 8 Black (with Media Pod only)|
Is GoPro an Ideal Webcam?
Yes, GoPro can become an ideal webcam if you want to spend more time in front of the camera. The image quality and resolution will be good but not 4K, as you cannot stream 4K with GoPro when it is connected to your PC.
Also, the streaming rate is 60 frames per second, which is excellent as compared to the regular webcams. You can also adjust the zoom and can focus on specific objects with a GoPro. Overall, if you want to make YouTube videos and other similar stuff, then you can use your GoPro as a webcam.
Advantages of Using GoPro as Webcam:
- Enhanced image quality
- Better zoom and focus
- Works well in low light
- Adjustable resolution
Disadvantages of Using GoPro as Webcam:
- Elgato Cam Link device is pricey
- Complicated process as it requires the installation of software
- Tripod, and other accessories required
Comparison of GoPro and Regular Webcam:
|Focus||Depends on the Camera||Fixed|
|Low Light Capability||Excellent||Poor|
|Easy to Use||NO||YES|
|Cost of Set-Up||HIGH||LOW|
It is entirely up to you whether you want to use your GoPro as a webcam or not. I own a GoPro Hero 5 Black, and it works flawlessly as a webcam. The only downside is that I cannot stream in 4K as the camera doesn’t support it this way. Lastly, I am pretty satisfied with the set-up as it requires an one time investment, and then you can continue to use it as a webcam for as much time as you need.