Desktop PC device owners do not have a webcam because it’s not an essential peripheral for many people. There might be situations where you need to have a webcam for your PC to join a critical official meeting. Also, in the worst-case scenario, you might have a web camera, but It Ends up malfunctioning. It is in situations like these, and a little smart work can help you to save time and your reputation. Our mobile devices are always equipped with at least a back camera. In the 21st century, the Latest smartphones have both front and back cameras, though. Today we are going to be showing you the way to use this. We’ll learn about how to use the phone as a webcam.
In 2020 the two dominant smartphone operating systems include Android and IOS. Both of these smartphone types are relevantly popular among the masses. They have an equal 50-50 market share currently and have a good grip over the number of customers. This article is going to be focused on both of these popular smartphone operating systems. This will give you clarity over what to do, depending on your device.
- Android – DroidCam
- iOS – Kinoni EpocCam
How to use the Phone as a Webcam on Android?
Android is one of the largest mobile operating systems. Google has put in a lot of effort to make sure that the majority of smartphone devices make use of this OS. The Android ecosystem is something that is getting popular day by day. Seamless connectivity throughout your Google accounts makes it much more sensible to have an Android smartphone these days. All Smartphone manufacturers, apart from Apple, make use of Google’s Android operating system. There is a high chance that you also have an Android device. To turn your Android smartphone into a live webcam for your PC or laptop, we are going to be making use of a Play Store application called droid cam.
Droidcam is one of the most popular applications to turn your Android device into a web camera. The app has over five million-plus downloads on the Google Play Store. It has also received over 27000 positive reviews from the users. The overall ratings of the application are quite high, at 3.8. This is a considerably good number in comparison to all of its competitors in the same application genre. The droidcam application requires you to install a desktop client on your Windows device. It is an open-source project and is available just for Windows devices for now. Mac users can make use of the kinoni app for their webcam requirements.
List of Features:
1. HD Quality
The droidcam application supports high definition video calls. The quality of your smartphone device camera also so slowly decides if the picture quality would be alright. If you have a high definition camera, then you will have seamless picture quality.
2. Input Delay
Many of the times, due to external connectivity, there is input delay. It is a massive hassle for someone who is looking forward to joining a video call. With the help of droidcam, there is minimal input delay, and you don’t have to worry about a distorted voice or video.
The application works over Wi-Fi, as well as a wired connection. All you have to do is connect to your PC with the same Wi-Fi network or plug and play using your USB connector cable.
The application is highly battery efficient and does not take up a lot of your charge percentage. You can still use your smartphone throughout the day, even after using the application. When you are not making use of the form, it runs in the background and turns off the camera.
Steps to use Android phone as webcam:
Follow the given below steps to turn your Android device into a webcam –
- Open up the Google Play Store on your Android device and click on the following link to download the droidcam application. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dev47apps.droidcam&hl=en_IN
- Head over to your PC and download the desktop client.
- Install the desktop client to begin with the webcam procedure.
- Open up the droidcam application on your Android device.
- Here you will have the option to connect your Android device over USB for the Wi-Fi network depending upon your preference.
- On the desktop client enter the wireless details if you want to connect over Wi-Fi or click on the USB icon if you’re going to communicate over USB.
- Now that your smartphone is connected, you can make any video call over applications like Skype, Zoom, Facebook, etc.
How to use Phone as a Webcam on iOS?
The procedure to turn your iOS device into a web camera is also quite similar. In this case, we are going to be making use of a different application. Kinoni EpocCam allows users to turn their iOS devices into a web camera.
About Kinoni EpocCam:
The application is one of the most popular in the genre. They have over 5 million active users currently who benefit from the Kinoni EpocCam application. It is an efficient way of turning your iOS device into a web camera for your Mac and Windows devices. It can be used to completely replace your pre-existing webcam on a laptop or act as an alternative for an external USB Webcam. It is also perfect for people who want to use it with other applications like OBS and Xsplit.
Features of Kinoni EpocCam:
The features of the application are quite similar to that of the droidcam form. Let’s have a look at them –
- The application helps in high-quality real-time video streaming from your mobile camera to the PC. It is one of the most popular alternatives for USB Webcam.
- Application supports the majority of video calling software, including Skype, on your PC.
- Wireless, as well as wired connectivity, is supported through this application.
- The application also supports both the cameras on your mobile device.
Steps to setup Kinoni EpocCam:
The procedure to set up the application is quite simple and similar to that of Android. Just follow the given below steps, and you will be good to go –
- Download and install the Kinoni EpocCam app on your iOS device.
- Open up the browser on your PC device and head over to the following link. http://www.kinoni.com/
- Here you can download the desktop client for the application so that you can connect your mobile device with your PC.
- Download the drivers of Windows 7 and above devices.
- Install these drivers to turn your iOS device into a webcam instantly.
You can use the camera on your mobile device as a webcam if your smartphone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network. For iOS devices, you can also connect your phone using USB.